You know that feeling, moving to a new neighborhood, spending that first weekend exploring, that excitement that comes with finding a great new ice-cream shop or the perfect little picnic spot? Well, my favorite find when we moved into this area was the bicycle park! Just a block from our home, Parque Juan Pablo 2 is one of those little gems that become the heart of the neighborhood. Teaming with flowers, play ground equipment and even an exercise park, you almost never find it empty (I ‘spose the great weather also doesn’t hurt). Parents mingling while the little ones play, people jogging and older kids riding their bikes… what a great way to spend a few hours! And now that summer is truly here, I couldn’t think of a better activity to ‘explore’ today (I will be adding an article on all things ‘bike’ a little later, so check back in a few hours in the childhood development section on the main menu to find out all about the benefits of bike riding and some helpful tips for getting your little ones up and enjoying their bikes safely). I decide to find and share with you a few of the best family-friendly bicycle routes and parks that I could find. From the UK to South Africa, Australia and even a great one in NYC, there were just too many to choose from! I hope I’ve found your favorite place, but if not, feel free to tell us about it in the comments section at the end of the post, I hope you enjoy! Best family biking spots in the world. The UK
- Clumber Park (Nottinghamshire) With over 20 miles of cycle routes through great scenery, this is a place the whole family could happily spend a few hours. There is also a great woodland play park and quiz trail. For more info, visit their site at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/clumber-park/
- Killerton, Devon Rural tracks and quiet roads through the beautiful Devon countryside make for a wonderfully relaxing family day out. A very ‘do-able’ 3 miles, even younger children will enjoy this one. For more info, check out http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/killerton/ .
- Wray Castle, Cumbria This is truly one of the best options for a family day out in the UK… up to 8 miles of great trails, following the lake-shore and a castle with great indoor and outdoor activity extras! Definitely check this one out. Just click here for details.
Around the globe
- St. Ives Mountain Bike Park, KZN South Africa This is a great option for families with older kids, although it is suggested that all family members have a little experience under the belt. Beautiful scenery and exciting trails make for a great adventure! For more info go to http://www.stives.co.za/st-ives-mountain-bike-park/ .
- PWC Cycle Park, Gauteng, South Africa One of the first international standard cycle parks in Gauteng South Africa, PWC Cycle Park offers many family-friendly activities and trails, and even have push bikes and training wheels available for younger riders. Check out the details at http://bikepark.co.za/about .
- Bicentenial Park, Glebe, Sydney (Australia) A terrific cycling path for families, there is also a great play park and plenty to do if you’re looking for a new way to pass a few hours, including perfect picnic spots. While I couldn’t find an official site, yelp has all the details at http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/bicentennial-park-glebe-foreshore-glebe .
- Centenary Park Bright Kids Playground, Melbourne, Australia Fun for kids of all ages, this playground combines the fun of bike riding with all the other best options for a great day out with the kids… shady areas for picnics, great playgrounds and even a water slide or two. Get all the details at right here.
- Pier 54, NYC, United States This is one of many great ‘learn-to-bike’ zones that can be found in New York City. Perfect for younger kids still finding their biking confidence, check it out at http://pier54.com/
Well, there you have it! Some of the best ones I could find. These all look like so much fun, don’t they? Like I mentioned earlier, please feel free to let us know if your favorite spot is not on the list (I’ll gladly add it), and if you have been lucky enough to visit any of these great places please let us know. After all people, sharing is caring, and that goes for information too! 🙂
If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it with your friends, and check out the rest of my website here (brightnbrainy.com)