Having lived in Spain for going on three years now (wow, is it really that long!?!) I must say, paella has become one of my favorite things. To order when we go out. It is notoriously difficult to get right! That being said, 🙂 , this recipe has to be one of the closest things to the real thing. And it is much easier than any other recipe that I have tried.
I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp each hot smoked paprika and dried thyme
- 300g paella or risotto rice
- 3 tbsp dry sherry or white wine (optional)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 900ml chicken stock
- 400g bag frozen seafood mix
- juice ½ lemon, other half cut into wedges
- handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and soften for 5 mins.
- Stir in the paprika, thyme and rice, stir for 1 min, then splash in the Sherry or wine, if using. Once it has evaporated, stir in the tomatoes and stock.
- Season and cook, uncovered, for about 15 mins, stirring now and again until rice is almost tender and still surrounded with some liquid.
- Stir the frozen seafood into the pan and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 5 mins, or until the prawns are cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice, scatter with parsley and serve with extra lemon wedges.
- If you'd like to use fresh seafood, then great! Totally up to you!