I remember the day we went shopping for the crib. I was so excited! Everything had to be just right… it had to have the look that i wanted, but it also need to check all the safety boxes. The ‘slats’ had to be the correct distance apart (no more than 6 cm) and all the hardware had to be ‘kiddie-proof’. And I’m really glad we put so much effort into choosing the right crib, because it IS such an important piece of furniture. Many people hang onto theirs and use the same crib for more than one, if not all of their children.
But one day there does come a day when we decide to retire that faithful old family member. We may choose to pass it on to another family member, or give it to a dear friend, so that it can continue it’s story with a new family. Or we may decide to sell it, and see if we can raise some money towards some of the numerous other articles that our growing little guys require. Both are good options, but there is third, often forgotten option, and you’ll be surprised at how magical the results can be.
Take a look at what you can do with your old crib, some imagination and a bit of elbow grease…
1. Craft table – Get the instructions here (diyandcraftideas.com)
2. Chalkboard Table for the Kids – Found at diyhomelife.com, all you have to do is remove a drop side and attach a board painted with calkboard paint to the base where the mattress would go. Attach hooks for children’s scissors and other art supplies if you’d like.
3. Elegant Bench – This bench would look great, inside or outside. Get the instructions here (diamondinthestuff.com).
4. A Day-Bed – This one from 2 Little Hooligans is another great way to turn your old crib into something super practical and fun! Get the whole story here.
5. Toy Chest – Well, it’s only fair, isn’t it?… little one is losing their bed, kinda makes sense that it’s little one that gets something new… and what better than a toy box? Meg at Handmade by Meg K explains how.
6. Craft and Tool Station – This is SO COOL! It kinda makes me want to go out and buy another crib so i’ll have an extra one, because i’m not going to be able to choose… The guys over at craftynest.com did an amazing job with this one.
7. Kid’s Desk – If you ask me, by the age of four or five, a kid can benefit from having his own desk… somewhere special to draw or practice their abc’s. This desk is even wide enough for Mom or Dad to pull up another chair and help. Mari from inspiredbyfamilymag.com shows you how.
8. Storage Day Bed – Cause who doesn’t need extra storage!?! Check out ana-white.com for instructions.
9. Kitchen Storage – This would great in a country kitchen. Gail over at myrepurposedlife.com shows you how.
10. Patio Swing – Found at diyhomelife.com, this patio swing is super cool and super easy to make. Remove the crib rail on one side, adjust the height of the mattress bed and hang the re-purposed crib from the ceiling with the help of four sturdy ropes and some rawlbolts and you get a stunning bed swing for children.
11. Toddler Bed – This is SO ADORABLE!! Mini Bunk with storage underneath – total win! The guys at adrielbooker.com knocked it out of the park with this one! Do yourself a favor and go and check out the details…
12. Doggie Crate – With casters on the bottom, this doggie crate can be used inside or outside, with the door open or shut, according to your needs at the time. And to top it off, it looks really stylish too. Myrepurposedlife.com has a full set of easy to follow instructions.
There you have it – 12 super creative things to do with your little one’s crib when you decide you’re ready. I know, it IS more than just a bed…
(If you’ve enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and family, i love writing and am looking for ways to grow this family :). Also, don’t forget to check out the rest of my weblog here (brightnbrainy.com). Thanks!)