Every now and then, you need to pick a destination, put the kids in the car, and just drive. It doesn’t really matter where you go, the journey is the real adventure! I’m talking about a ‘family roadtrip’… You now the drill: pack the car, make sure you don’t forget anything (do the road trip checklist from Happiness is Homemade, just in case), convince everyone that they do have to go and pee just in-case (eye-roll 🙂 ), etc. etc. etc.
Great fun! Unfortunately, finding snacks that hold up well to a long journey is not easy. They last thing you want is for someone to end up sick on your big family adventure! These recipes are all travel safe, and hold up well, even on a long journey… enjoy!
1. Artichoke Pasta Salad – This pasta salad is ready in less than 25 minutes, and the spice level can be adjusted to suit your family’s preferences. Get the recipe here (foodnetwork.com)
2. Bacon and Egg Muffin – Perfect for breakfast if you decided to get an early start. Get the recipe here (today.com) (I’d probably leave the Tabasco out of the equation, but if your family likes heat, go for it!)
3. Veggie Samosas – To keep things simple, this recipe uses store bought phyllo dough, and just in case you need a little help understanding the folding instructions (like i did), here is a quick video i found on Youtube that demonstrates the technique perfectly. Samosas really are one of my favorite roadtrip foods – very little mess, and so much flavor! Get the recipe here (foodnetwork.ca)
4. Honey Mustard Snack Mix – The recipe, found at chowhound.com, is rather large, and could be halved or even quartered, but, wow, salty sweet and crunchy all at the same time!?! A winner in my books!
5. Cheeseburger Meatballs – While they haven’t quite set this out as road food, it reminds me of the ‘frikkadelle’ that my Ouma used to pack for us on when we were heading home after a visit at her place. A container full of these are sure to be a hit with the kids! Get the recipe here (taste.com).
6. Mini Hotdogs – What kid doesn’t love hotdogs? These hotdog bites are the perfect size for even the littlest traveler… get the recipe here (allrecipes.co.uk).
7. B.L.A.T Wrap – Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado and tomato – hmmmm….yum yum…. Get the recipe here (allrecipes.com).
8. Ham and Cheese Arepa – My husband’s Venezuelan, so we have Arepas at home all the time. You have to try these for your next roadtrip… check out mommyshomecooking.com for authentic Venezuelan instructions.
9. Oatmeal Raisin Sandwich – Of course, every snack bag needs a cookie element, and this one is a good one! Get the recipe here (foodnetwork.ca).
10. Raspberry Hand Pies – Num Num Num…. Get the full instructions at foodnetwork.ca.
I hope you have found some things that your family will love as much as mine do. I know that when we head out on the open road, the last thing that we feel like doing is pulling over.
If you’ve enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it with your friend and family – i love writing and i’m trying to grow this family 🙂 , also, don’t forget to check out the rest of my weblog here (brightnbrainy.com). Thanks!
Looking for entertainment for the kids for the long car journey? Head on over to Amazon (*affiliate link) for one of these great deals… So many great options to choose from!
*All that this means is that a small percentage of the sale comes to me, i ‘spose as Amazon’s way of saying ‘Thanks!’ for sending some business their way. I use those proceeds to help with the running of my household, and towards the upkeep of this site, so please, go wild 😉 . (Only joking! Brightnbrainy supports responsible spending.)