(This post contains affiliate links) Looking for some inspiration for your costume this year? Here are 25 of the best one out there!
Good thing there’s still a while to go… some of these are pretty complicated… Ooopps! 🙂 Less than a week to go!
1. Harry Potter and Fluffy – Hagrid’s vicious 3-headed Cerberus is the perfect trick-or-treat partner… i doubt anyone’s going to put ‘nasties’ in your basket when you have Fluffy at your side! Find two really mean looking teddies that you’re willing to sacrifice (sorry… 🙁 ) and fashion a harness for your normal, hopefully friendly, pet dog. Make sure to cover him up so that the harness can’t be seen. For your little one, all that’s needed is a long black coat, black glasses and a colorful scarf. (photo credit: collegehumor.com)
2. Little Old Lady – Awww, how cute! You can buy a walker for kids from a costume shop or you could make a similar walker out pvc or use an old stool (remove the top, add wheels on two of the legs and tennis balls on the other two)( image: costume-works.com)
3. California Roll Sushi – Yum yum, and absolutely love the soy sauce hat! To create the sushi roll, use the tops of two round boxes (large gift boxes or similar). Use colored felt for the avocado and fish, and glue on large polystyrene peanuts for rice, then fill in the rest with black felt to act as the nori. (This picture was submitted to parenting.com by Mandy from Oregon.)
4. Jetpack – How cool is this!?! If you could pull this together for your older kid, i’m sure they’d be over the moon! (Had to slip a space pun in… forgive me 🙂 ) (photo credit: imgur.com) (I actually could not find the tutorial, or figure this one out… i’m sorry, but it was just so cool i had to include it! Please, if you have the tutorial, or have figured it out, please comment, so i can update this post to include it 🙂 )
5. Hot Air Balloon – This one is so much fun! Get the instructions here (countryliving.com)
6. Lego Brick – Got a little one that loves Lego? This one is super easy – get the full instructions here (countryliving.com)
7. Glowing Stick Figure – Hahahaha, this is so, so cute! (You can get the costume at glowyzoey.com)
8. Burrito Baby – Even the littlest family member deserves to have some dress-up fun on Halloween! (photo credit: collegehumor.com)
9. Sponge Bob – (found on parenting.com) This is one of my favorites (i love Sponge Bob), and according to Mom Jessie, all they used were two bardboard box lids and a little felt. So cool!
10. Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Perfect if you have a little girl that loves dressing up in mom’s fanciest clothes, and i’m sure, plenty of photo opportunities coming your way!
11. Carl from Up – This costume is super cute, ans deceptively easy too…all you need to do is pop some glasses on your kid, tie some helium balloons to their belt (not too many- you don’t want them flying off ;))and build them a very basic pvc and tennis ball walker. (photo credit: Auburn Soul)
12. Pineapple Baby – This is another super cute option for the younger members of your trick-or-treat party. Linesacross.com has the full, no-sew tutorial here.
13. Edward Scissorhands – Very scary! Instructables.com has the tutorial for perfect DIY scars to complete your look.
14. Mario and Luigi Carts – Super cool for twins or best friends, the kids will feel like they’re actually IN their favorite video game! Get the tutorial here (twindragonflies.com)
15. Snail Costume – This one is great if you run out of time, or if you need an extra costume at the last minute…it can be put together with craft paper and a few other basics in under an hour. Check out ohhappyday.com for the instructions.
16. Army Man – Ooohh…. i bet this one’s going to be a real winner! Lots of green spray paint though! Get the details here (wildinkpress.com)
17. Rubix Cube – A classic! And so easy to make too… get the instructions here (designmom.com).
18. Viking – This costume is perfect if you live in an area that gets a little cooler or if you’re planning on taking the kids out at night. Get the instructions here (iammommahearmeroar.net)
19. Unicorn – This white unicorn is absolutely magical! I can see it get worn way more than once :). Get the instructions here (craftahalicanonymous.net)
20. ‘Alex’ from A Clockwork Orange – So simple, but so clever 😉 (photo credit: imgur.com)
21. Mermaid – Plenty of little girls would love to go as a mermaid, and this sparkly creation can be whipped up at home with things you probably already have, in one afternoon. Get the full tutorial here (realsimple.com)
22. Bath full of Bubbles – Splish! Splash! This one is a whole lot of fun! Get the tutorial here (giglesgalore.com)
23. Watercolor Paint Box – Perfect for the artist in the family… it even comes complete with a giant paintbrush (made from a pool noodle – so clever!) Check out the instructions here (diynetwork.com).
24. Pizza Slice – What kid doesn’t love pizza, and since Halloween is all about indulgence, why not let them go dressed up as their favorite food? Get the tutorial here (u-createcrafts.com).
25. Coolest Robot Ever – No-one can argue, this is most definitely the coolest robot costume ever! Head on over to pagingfunmums.com for all the details.
I hope you and your family all find some amazing outfits… after all, Halloween is a time to let your imaginations run wild, be whatever you want to be! Have fun, and be safe!
If you’ve enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and family, and don’t forget to check out the rest of my weblog here (brightnbrainy.com). Thanks!
* All this means is that a small percentage of the sale comes to me, i ‘spose as Amazon’s way of saying ‘Thanks!’ for sending some business their way. I use those proceeds to help with the running of my household and the upkeep of this site, so please, go wild 😉 (only joking, of course, brightnbrainy supports responsible spending.)