(This post contains affiliate links) Back when we were still living in South Africa, when most of the family was still there, we used to get together very often at a beautiful public park for a big family BBQ (braai). The place was really magical. There was even a swimming pool for the kids, and it had a water slide! The best part about these get-togethers was obviously getting to spend time with some of our favorite people, but i’m not going to lie, dining alfresco was pretty great too.
I’m sure you’ve heard the term ‘dining alfresco’… You know it comes from Italian, from the term ‘al fresco’, which means ‘in the cool air’, but did you know that most Italians don’t use the phrase ‘alfresco’ to refer to dining? Instead, they will say ‘fuori’ or ‘all’aperto’. Italians actually use the term ‘alfresco to refer to someone that is spending time in jail. 🙂
Anyway, Here are a collection of some of my favorite recipes perfect for your next alfresco get-together.
1. How about we start things off with a salad? But not just any salad… no, this watermelon feta salad is going to have everybody wanting more. In fact, you better double the recipe, just in case…
3. You can make these in the morning or even the night before… in fact, why not get the kids to help? These vegetable tartlets are super easy to make and absolutely amazing!
4. Moving on to something more substantial… spicy chicken skewers (originally found at thekitchn.com) are a great alfresco dining option – they are absolutely delicious; moist on the inside with wonderfully smoky, crispy bits on the outside, and they are perfect for casual dining. Play with the spice levels if your family is not too keen on the heat factor, but don’t skip it, i promise you, these babies are deeelicious!
5. If you’re looking for something that’s going to fill their tummies and knock their socks off at the same time, this scotch egg pie is sure to do the trick. Flaky pastry, a yummy meat filling and a boiled egg – savory perfection!
6. One of my favorite parts of any meal is dessert, but there is a secret to it, if you ask me. Dessert is not supposed to leave you feeling sick, or like you’ve overdone it. Dessert is supposed to be a wonderful ending to a delicious meal, and should add something to the whole experience. This lemon tart with summer berries (a Gordon Ramsey recipe) is the perfect example of my dream dessert. So worth the extra effort….
7. And lets not forget the drinks… this one is for the adults only. A refreshing (slightly spicy) Michelada beer cocktail is light enough to enjoy at family gatherings 😉 and still packs a nice little kick. You’ve got to try this Mexican classic for yourself, it’s magic!
With so many delicious choices, i’m sure the visit’s going to go on long into the evening. At least you know prep and clean-up will be a breeze if you have some of these great kitchen gadgets from Amazon (affiliate link) Take a look…