We were standing in the kitchen the kitchen last night, chatting, when my husband pulled open the fridge door, and just stood there… he stood there for close to a minute, just staring… that’s when it hit me… I buy the ingredients, i decide what to cook and when to cook it… Hehehe – I really do have full control over what he eats – insert wicked laugh here – i love the smell of power!
The last time he went for a medical, the doctor mentioned that his cholesterol was a little high, but, you know how men are… my husband just brushed it off. Those washboard abs that used to hide under his work shirt have slowly been replaced by a real “Dad – Bod’, but, according to my husband, it’s just a little extra ‘to love’. Well, you know what? Enough’s enough! I say, it’s time to sneak in a few deviously delicious dinner dishes that are low in carbs and saturated fats, but that taste so good he’s not even going to realize i’m trying to slim him down and ‘shapen’ him up. Before he even knows it, he’ll be looking, and feeling, a whole lot better!
1. Healthier American Style Chili – I know his one is a favorite with most guys, and what’s not to love? Meat, beans, spices…hmmm, yum, yum, yum! This recipe uses a mixture of turkey and ground sirloin, so the fat content is almost none, but the flavor punch is right up there. I promise you, your hubby is going to be wanting seconds, and you don’t need to worry, you can give him a great big portion, guilt-free!
2. Chicken and chickpea curry – This is a fantastic recipe to have in your arsenal… spicy, creamy, bursting with flavor. You may want to make a classic lasagne for the kids, but i know you grown-ups will love this one! You hardly even notice the missing half of the half-fat cream 😉 .
3. Almond crusted chicken tenders – A family friendly option that Dad is going to love too. He’ll never even guess that it’s good for him! Serve up a huge pile of these with a fresh green salad, and i’m sure everyone will be smiling.
4. Beef Daube Provencal – One of MY absolute favorites, so we are going to be eating this at least once 🙂 . Anyway, it is absolutely amazing, so i doubt there’ll be any complaints! Slow cooked in red wine, the beef just falls apart, and the veggies are so rich… it really is a treat. Serve it with a whole wheat pasta to keep things healthy. Yum, yum, yum… you have to try it for yourself!
5. Low-Fat Moussaka – If you haven’t tried this Greek classic yet, you really should! It’s packed full of veggies, but with lots of ground beef and plenty of Parmesan cheese too, it’s bound to be a crowd-pleaser. If you’re feeling a little generous, you could even sprinkle in an extra bit of mozzerella 😉 ( I always do!)
I know that my husband can be about as easy-going as a donkey when he wants to be 😉 , and at least this way i know that i am doing my part to keep him around as long as possible. I do feel a little bad about my plan to trick him though… nah, you know what, it’s fine!
If you’re looking for some extra ways to jazz up your partner, Amazon (affiliate link*) does have a few great men’s pampering options. Check these out…
if you’ve enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it with your friends and family, and don’t forget to check out the rest of my website here (brightnbrainy.com). In fact, after slaving in the kitchen all week, you might enjoy my post on healthy face and hair masks that you can do at home. Go on, pamper yourself a little 🙂 .
*All that this means is that a small percentage of the sale comes to me, i ‘spose as Amazon’s way of saying ‘Thanks!’ for sending some business their way… i use those proceeds to help with the running of my household, and towards the upkeep of this site, so please, go wild 😉 . (Only joking, Brightnbrainy supports responsible spending.)