There’s no getting around it… Every now and then, even the most positive, upbeat of parents is going to have a totally rubbish day. Maybe you’re over-tired, and feel like hiding away from it all, just to grab a few hours of sleep. Perhaps the kids are being extra ‘full-of-nonsense’, causing you to question your sanity, or maybe you’re just feeling overwhelmed and underappreciated.
Sometimes, it’s easy to forget how much they actually love and appreciate you. But they do. A million times over over, they do. You are absolutely the best!
And here’s why…
1. You gave them life – Okay, so someone else helped, but you get to take 50% of the credit.
2. You sheltered them inside you for 9 months (give or take), and then brought them into this world – Sorry Dads, no point for you on this one…
3. You change diapers, wipe noses, clean ears and mop up vomit – Somehow, we parents develop ‘super powers’… Iron stomachs and nerves of steel are non-negotiable!
4. You’re just the best, most versatile teacher ever – Walking 101, Introduction to the English language, Beginners Social Psychology and even short courses like ‘Why not to walk with our fingers up our noses’ and ‘No – you can’t put your baby sister in the dog bed!’
5. You give them everything they need, from socks and toothpaste, to medical insurance and education – It doesn’t mean they get everything they want…but that’s a different story.
6. You cook (pretty much 🙂 ) everything that they eat – On average, a person spends up to 3 times longer in the kitchen once they have kids… not every one likes cooking… if that’s not love, i don’t what is!
7. (Even if they have a few chores), you provide the majority of the cleaning services – And you don’t even charge for it…
8. You always have the time to listen – There’s no better friend than a parent…
9. You keep them safe from ghosts, dragons and monsters under the bed – The Ghostbusters don’t got nothing on you! Bring it on!
10. You taught your little champ how to kick a football, or jump that jump-rope – Or, more importantly, you cheered them on while they were learning.
11. You tickle that belly when they need a good laugh – Sometimes all that’s needed is a little bit of ‘silly’.
12. You give them their space when you know they ‘need a minute’ – We’ve been there, we know…
13. You spend hours on Pinterest looking for the perfect birthday cake – And then an entire Saturday getting it hilariously wrong… (lol,i speak as a previous ‘Pinterest-Fail’ culprit)
14. You run the best bubble baths – Exactly the right amount of water, temperature spot on, and perfectly fluffy bubbles… you’ve got it down to an art!
15. You run the safest and cheapest Uber service around – Transport to and from personal or school commitments normally doesn’t come cheap. We parents seem to operate this side business at a total financial loss… we are SO ‘the best’!
16. You goof-around when necessary – Kids holidays, like Halloween or April Fool’s, become something super-serious. Money gets set aside and lots of time gets spent on something that means the world to the kids, and (almost nothing)(ssshhh….) less to you… 😉 You’ll even dress up like a Pokemon Trainer if it’ll make the kids happy…
17. You are super serious when necessary – You know when your kids need discipline or guidance, and your not scared to give it to them. You’re a strong parent, and you rock!
18. You’re showing your child the world – Even if you haven left your little town, there are hundreds (okay, maybe tens) of small things that we do every single day that are brand new to your child. To him, it’s a brand new world!
19. You’re raising an artist, or a poet, an engineer, or a teacher, a lawyer or a fireman – Regardless of what your child becomes, you’re providing them with the tools that they need to one-day be a happy, productive person. Love, encouragement, and praise go a long way in helping a child realize their dreams.
20. No matter how many kids you have, you never forget a birthday – Must be another super-power, because your memory definitely goes… maybe it’s the ‘lack of sleep’?
21. Your hugs…
22. Your packed lunches…
23. You know all those silly little picture you’ve saved, just for sentimental reasons… well, those also make you ‘the best’!
24. You’re a multi-tasking super-ninja! – Comforting a crying baby, while making lunch, throwing in a load of laundry, finishing up a super-important email and helping the tween with her ‘dang-fangled’ new-way-of-doing-it (when did they even change it?) maths homework is not easy… serious ninja-level skill required!
25. Your smile – You’re beautiful 🙂 Even when you’re tired… it’s a labor love, carry your war scars proudly.
A great big hug to all the Moms and Dads out there. Some days are tough… it’s okay… remember, you’re the best!
Please, if you know a Mom or Dad that needs a hug, go ahead and share this post. Also, don’t forget to check out the rest of my weblog here (brightnbrainy.com). Thanks!