Halloween is over, Thanksgiving’s on the way, and our local supermarkets are full of chocolate Santas… the holidays might not be here yet, but it’s definitely not too soon to start planning! One of our favorite things to do over the holidays is jump in the car (or hop on a plane, when the budget allows) and take the kids away for a little holiday – sometimes to enjoy a special visit with family, other times to explore a new destination. Regardless of what we choose to do, or where we choose to go, there’s always one little problem… entertainment…
Let’s face it – Packing space is limited in the car, storage space is probably going to be limited at the holiday accommodation, and all those relatives we’re visiting, they’re not geared up to handle 3 crate-loads of toys anyways! (I may have perfected the ‘lego-avoidance dance’, but i doubt my great aunt would be too impressed to step on one of those plastic devils at 10 pm on her way to bathroom 🙂 ) So, what do you do? Sure, the tablet is great, especially if you have some fantastic websites and youtube channels up your sleeve, but also only for so long. The favorite teddy goes with, and maybe one bath toy, but what then?
Well, the solution is actually pretty simple. Carry along, travel toys. Sound like a pretty expensive, niche toy market, right? Well, luckily, there are some fantastic DIY tutorials out there. Here are 5 of my absolute favorite!
1. Holiday Christmas Tree – Perfect for December travels, especially if you’re staying in a hotel and don’t have your own Real Tree! Get the tutorial and all the details here (Thatswhatshesaid.com)
2. Workbench – This super slipcover will keep any industrious little traveler happily entertained no matter where you are! Fold it up and pop it in the suitcase along with a few all-important tools, and you’re set! Hours of entertainment ready to bang out! Get the full tutorial here (ehow.com)
3. Kitchen Slipcover – Another fantastic slipcover! Any little chef or nurturing homemaker is going to love this one! The pots and pans will take a little extra space, sure, but just think of how great it’s going to be to sit down to a fantastic home cooked meal after a long day of exploring! 😉 Get the details and instructions here (ehow.com)
4. Storage Container Cooker Set – I love this idea! In fact i think i’ll be making one for little miss Sara (she loves helping mama cook dinner – this way she can have her own set, probably also a whole lot safer 🙂 ) My favorite part – it’s the same shape as a suitcase, so it keeps things really simple! Printable Cuttable Creatables has all the details.
5. Travel doll house – Okay, so this one might just be a little out of my DIY sewing skill range 9I may have to call in some family favors), but isn’t it just too cute?! The opportunities really are endless… a barn, a castle, a mansion, a fairy house, an underwater mermaid palace….ooohhh – i wish my sewing skills were better! Time to head on over to A Girl And A Glue Gun (unfortunately this one calls for a little more than just the glue gun – i already checked!) and brush up on my sewing skills!
6. Car Mat – For all that four wheeled action! This car play mat from Ragamuffin-Baby is so cute! Just look at all that detail! Roll it up, pop it in a suitcase and tada! Your little driver is going to love having his own new lands to explore too! Get the full tutorial here and whip up your very own!
7. Garden box – This is another super special DIY travel toy that i just love! It does take up a little bit more room than the others, but wow! It is just so unique, and so much fun! I can see my little one having spending lots of time planting radishes, and picking flowers – i’m sure the carrots are going to come in handy in the kitchen too! You might need a little bit of patience, but i think it’s going to be worth the end result! A Beautiful Mess has all the details.
8. Felt fishing game – This magnetic fishing game is lots of fun and fantastic for hand eye-coordination! It also rolls up nice and small, so is perfect for travel! Get all the details here (oneperfectdayblog.net).
So many FUNtastic DIY options! If you know of someone with children that’s going to be travelling, please remember to share these ideas with them, and happy travels!