For the soup
- 8 ounce lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t oregano
- 2 T tomato paste
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 C water
- 115 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 C grated parmesan
- 1/4 C heavy cream or half and half
For the topping
- ricotta cheese
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add noodles and cook as directed.
- Remove the noodles from the pot and discard the water. Drizzle the noodles with 1T of the olive oil and set aside for later.
- Heat 1T of olive oil in the same large pot and cook the onion over a medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes until the onion are soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage, garlic and oregano, and stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the sausage, for 3 or 4 minutes, until the sausage is a little browned.
- Add the tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes, then pour in the chicken broth, the water and the crushed tomatoes.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Once the soup is simmering nicely, remove the lid and let it bubble softly for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles, the parmesan and the cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Dish into your favorite soup bowls, top with ricotta and basil, and enjoy!
A must-try for anyone that loves the original thing!