Mama’s Sauce is basically a veggie-packed meat sauce…full of fresh peppers, carrot and mushroom. For the slightly more choosy ‘little lunch guest’, I would suggest dicing your veggies even smaller… what they can’t see can’t upset them, not so? 😉
Enjoy, and please feel free to let me know what you thought!
- 500g lean mince beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 x 440g can diced tomatoes
- 1 C vegetable stock
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size pot and sauté the onions and peppers until the onions are translucent.
- Add the beef and brown for 3 or 4 minutes, then add in the mushrooms and stir gently for a few minutes, letting the mushrooms cook down.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then add the grated carrots and the diced tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes on medium, stirring often.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and let simmer for another 30 minutes. The longer you let the sauce simmer the more the flavor will develop.
- Season to taste and serve with spaghetti.
- A great way to get you families complex -carbohydrate count up would be to use whole-wheat spaghetti, but, with all the veggies in the sauce, even if you choose to go with 'normal' pasta, this is still a super healthy dinner option!